While it may seem like the only excitement worth mentioning revolves around our dog doing things, this is not the case. I worked most of last week to get together enough grade A Emu’s to a craft fair up in Brisbane. This was also not something I organised myself, and essentially piggybacked on a friend’s sisters loose offer to put my brooches in with their (amazing) stuff. I’m not really sure of the tactic of surprising people with 12 pieces of original “artwork” to sell, is really going to make me popular on this handi-craft scene, but it’s a learning process.
I also finally got around to creating an Etsy site – taking as many “natural light photos” on my lunch break at work, with my camera phone. I really love my Nexus phone. I’m sorry Travis for kicking up a fuss over your refusal to provide me with Apple products for my birthday. Anyway, for the starting (by no means final product) see kathandtrav on Etsy for more !
Travis also bought a record player on discount. We have no records. No one I know has any records (except the friends mentioned above, and really, I’m not going to bother them with favours for awhile). I had just left him at the mall for 2.5 hours while I had gotten my hair done. I was not about to tell him he couldn’t have a discounted record player. We also learnt that there are no records for sale on Gumtree (the craigslist equivalent). We are now listening to the radio built into the record player. Will we ever listen to vinyl? The jury is out.
Most importantly this weekend – Arkie ate a cane toad and tripped out. He was panting and running around in circles and acting …well.. like he was high. We called the vet to make sure he wasn’t going to die (while he was hiding under our bed eating cardboard). The vet advised us to check his gums for slime, and then wash his mouth out. How? We asked. By taking a cool cloth and wiping the inside of his mouth. We were fortunate that either the toxins in his blood stream or his overall good nature stopped him from biting anybody. It also did the trick and he eventually went to sleep and stopped circling the house. We actually didn’t know that he had eaten a cane toad, or that this is what would happen to him if he ate a cane toad – the vet we called was the one among us that knew right away what was going on. Also how to clean out a dogs mouth after he has ingested a toxic, psychotropic amphibian.
More love for Australia.
Fact – before I got a dog, I “rescued” a half dead skink from our side walk. He lived in a Pyrex glass dish for a week and eventually I bought a terrarium (and some crickets for him to eat). It’s illegal to keep wild skinks in Australia so I didn’t tell the pet shop guy about my damaged skink. It was actually probably more so that I didn’t want him to think I was a weirdo.. Which happened a lot my first 6 months or so. Anyway, the skink was eventually released to be eaten by a bird or equivalent, and we got a dog… How far we have come, I left this guy to his own devices on our gate. Even though it looks like his spinal cord is hanging out. As the Aussies would say … he ll be right.
We think it might be a mosquito … We were tempted to leave it on the ceiling as a warning to any of his friends…but today someone called our place a dungeon (just because we live in a basement suite that doesn’t see a lot of natural light …) so we cleaned it up pretty quickly.
Travis’ hands are wet because he just washed them (after squishing the mosquito). It’s not insect blood or something equally disturbing and gross.